Adult Summer Camp
So lets get this straight...
For the last several months moms and dads have been working feverishly to find summer camps for our kids. We don't have the time and/or stamina to watch these wild creatures during the summer months. The public school system is exhausted from trying to educate them and needs a break, too. This means we need to figure out a way to keep our children out of trouble during the endless summer days.
Are we happy to just let our kids zone in front of their electronic devices all summer long? No. That's what they want to do so clearly we want to avoid that option.
Instead we search near and far, high and low for the perfect medley of summer camps. We want them to experience everything within the realm of reason and a few things that aren't. After all, as children, we spent our summers riding bicycles with no helmets and eating dirt. We demand better for our kids!
We pay hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars on summer camps. The summer camps advertise they will create a wonderful, earth shattering experience for our kids. Our kids will fish, climb rock walls, dance, sail, learn archery, identify every tree in existence, learn which berries they can eat and which will poison them instantly. They'll swim, draw, make masterpieces out of clay, learn a foreign language, play an instrument, and quite possibly become even more knowledgeable about insects than they were two weeks ago.
Wow! That's a bucket load of fun for a child who would prefer to sit at home and watch YouTube videos.
This got me thinking which is always scary.
Why don't we take those hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars and send ourselves off to Adult Summer Camp? That's ASC for short. As long as we leave some pizza in the refrigerator and chips in the pantry, I'm not sure our kids will even notice our absence.
In my imaginary world, ASC is geared towards parents and has the following
Welcome to Adult Summer Camp (ASC). Our mission is to treat you the way you deserve to be treated. Our camp is a relaxed, comfortable environment where you will be able to pee in privacy and have uninterrupted adult conversations. Although we are a pet-friendly camp, children are strictly prohibited. The following is an example of a daily schedule, but your pleasure is our #1 priority so the schedule can be tailored to fit your needs...
- Wake up whenever you feel like it
- Eat breakfast if you want, but you have no need to prepare a darn thing for any living creature
- Begin reading whatever trashy novel you want without guilt or judgement
- At no point will you hear any whining, complaining, or noises that need investigated
- Eat lunch with a bottle of wine. No judgement if the content of your glass is larger than that of your plate
- Take a nap which will not be interrupted by tattle-telling or complaints of boredom
- Eat a delicious dinner which will not be peppered with any noisy, crying, or disgruntled children
- Following the delicious, uninterrupted dinner, campers will have the option of sitting in a hammock, hot tub, poolside, or by a blackjack table
- Go to bed whenever your heart's desire vs. being forced to pass out after a long day of herding cats.
Ahhhhhh...adult summer camp. Who's in?